Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Apologies

Dear friends and acquaintances,

In this time of uncertainty and dismay, of questioning and anxiety, of disquiet and fear, I have one thing to ask of you.

Excuse me.

Excuse my jubilee. Excuse my joy for history being made in the country I love. Excuse the tears of pride that stream down my face because there’s someone like me doing something extremely positive. Excuse the tears I cried after he won California, not of sorrow, but a release of the emotion and psychological toll of arguing and defending my beliefs, even as far as to have my faith in our Savior questioned. If it were McCain, Palin, I would let you be as happy as you want to be. But something so symbolic, a moment so poignant, cannot and will not be understated by anyone American or not.

Excusez Moi!

Excuse me for not being ashamed of the next president for riding a train like regular presidents have. Excuse him for not flying on a private jet. Excuse him for being a visible, real person. Excuse him for the celebrations that are going on for him. People act like he’s planning concerts and extravaganza’s for himself. They don’t say anything about him hosting an inaugural ball for Senator McCain.

Alma’Derah!

Excuse me for being proud of the president elect for not spending the day before he assumed the most prestigious office in the country promenading around like a pompous nobleman who is untouchable, but spending it-get this-painting the walls in a shelter for homeless teenagers in D.C. He is already bettering my community. Is that why you are so upset? Is that why you can’t stand to see how big of a deal this is? His wife held a concert for children of soldiers in Iraq. Excuse them for doing something different, something better.

Com Liceca!

Excuse me for taking the time out of my busy schedule to stop – and think about what this day means to not only my people, but to my country. The first African American President in our history will be sworn in tomorrow on the steps of the Capitol and then move to the White House, both which were built by African slaves. The blood, sweat and the tears of those who have come before us stain the walls of these offices and edifices. A mile or two away from where Dr. King gave arguably the greatest speech in American history, Barack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th president of the United States of America. The images of lynchings, fire hoses, police dogs, marches, sit-ins, boycotts, colored signs, raised fists, negro spirituals, and music with a purpose will all flash through my head as he lays his hand on the bible to take the Oath that defines a presidency. If your not from America, or haven’t experienced any type of discrimination based on the color of your skin, you won’t understand. And it’s ok. But while my Mother, and Grandmother and I take this moment to exhale, excuse us.
So as you see the smiling faces tomorrow, as you see the signs and the Facebook statuses that exude pride, celebration, and honor, and when you see me wearing my Barack Obama T-Shirt tomorrow;


Excuse Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment